Saturday, December 17, 2011

Caret Vol.1, Ep.6


I have "River" by Joni Mitchell floating through my subconscious currently.  Do you know that song? 

"It's coming on Christmas, they're cutting down trees, they're putting up reindeer, and singing songs of joy and peace, I wish I had a river, I could skate away on... I wish I had a river so long, I would teach my feet to fly, I wish I had a river I could skate away on..."

I feel like avoiding Christmas a little bit this year.  It's odd because I love it so much.  But, I'd really love to not have to deal with the comparison and jealousy that comes up with every christmas card received.  I am often and usually very happy that people I know and love are doing well and being blessed.  On a rare occasion, I glance at the card of a previous childhood challenger and feel inadequate.  Then, jealous.  Really jealous.  

They are married, with children, have a good job, went on a fantastic trip, etc.

All things I want.  All things I do not currently have.  

Proverbs 27:3-5 "A stone is heavy, and sand is weighty, but a fool's provocation is heavier than both. Wrath is cruel, anger is overwhelming, but who can stand before jealousy? Better is open rebuke than hidden love." (ESV)

However, more than wanting these things, I do not want to feel like this. Green with envy.  The green eyed monster.  (I get enough of that already as my eyes actually turn green at times.) 

And God doesn't want me to feel like that either.  

I was listening to a James MacDonald podcast on my way to work this week. (That's right, more about work later.)

And he laid out three steps to overcome jealousy.

1. Pray for blessing on those whom you feel jealous of.
2. Encourage them.
3. Defend them.

He says "you won't feel jealous when those people receive blessing because that's what you prayed for."

So that's what I'm going to do from now on.  Starting Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment